Saturday, January 21, 2012

et tu, facebook?

Well, it would seem that my problems with facebook are not over... In December, just before Christmas, I got locked out for two weeks, due to facebook's security measures that wanted me to input a code that they texted to my cell phone number that is on my account with them. Um, the cell phone that is now on vacation hold and not accessible from Mexico, that one? Gah! After about 5 emails sent over the two weeks that I was locked out, I kept getting an automated response with "send us a scan of your government ID with the parts that you don't want released on the internet blacked out". Oh really? How is that supposed to make me feel more secure? If facebook got hacked into, there is my driver's license picture to be hacked or my passport picture out on the web. After the 5th one, someone from facebbok support took pity on me and told me that my account was now unfrozen. And THEN I found out that you cannot remove a cell phone number without putting in a new one. Wha? I don't have a functioning cell phone number. At. all. Does that mean I can't have a functioning facebook account? Well, I guess that I got that right. I used it a total of 4 times before it got frozen again, this time for the past week or so.

One good thing came out of this... I no longer have any kind of addiction to facebook or wanting to get on it. I have now signed onto google+ but am not having a lot of success in using it. Of course, I only have 12 friends on it, and may need to find a way to import my contacts from my yahoo account. Yes, I am sighing. Yes, I wish that facebook would give up its stupidity and just let me on, again. I just love being able to post pix from what we are doing and having people comment on it, looking at my wall to see who is doing what when I want to, and just generally seeing what is up on the web. Looks like I was very lucky for a long time, and now am not so lucky and need ot figure out a different way to contact my friends.

Yes, I am hating on FB just a little bit right now. But if it unfroze my account in the next day or so, I think I would get over it very fast. (sigh)

1 comment:

Millicent said...

Not that this will help you now, but I keep refusing to provide my cell phone number to Facebook(since it is our ONLY phone and I do not want it blasted out into the universe any more than it is already. So, perhaps, if initially you had refused to give them a number it would be better? who's to say? At some point FB could just require everyone to have a phone listed. Period. I guess they do not or cannot comprehend a human who does not have a phone.